"To support and advance stem cell research and regenerative medicine under the highest ethical and medical standards for the discovery and development of cures, therapies, diagnostics and research technologies to relieve human suffering from chronic disease and injury."
How we achieve our mission
California's stem cell agency closely monitors progress in stem cell research and targets funding in areas most likely to lead to new therapies. We're funding great research, training new scientists and working with industry leaders to make sure our grantees succeed--and that the people of California benefit.
"highest medical and ethical standards"
Our Standards Working Group has developed research standards that make sure our grantees are following the highest standards in their research. We've worked closely with other state and federal agencies to align our standards and to protect patients.
"cures, therapies, diagnostics and research technologies"
Some therapies that come out of stem cell research might involve transplanting the cells themselves. Other therapies might be drugs that were discovered through studying diseases in stem cells. Still other people might benefit from diagnostics that allow doctors to diagnose and treat diseases more effectively or through technologies that open up whole new fields of research. Our funding promotes all areas of stem cell research that could one day benefit patients.
Meeting our mission means working closely with patient groups, scientists and industry leaders to drive new therapies for the patients who need them. We've also developed detailed strategic plans to help guide the agency's decisions, which we update periodically to reflect changes in the field (this page has the strategic plans from 2006, 2009 and 2012).
Our most recent strategic plan puts an increased focus on getting some of the potential therapies developed with our funding into clinical trials. Here's how we plan to do that:
- Fund at least 10 therapies in early phase clinical trials that impact at least five diseases
- Attract the best scientists in the world to join us in creating discoveries that will shape biology and medicine for the future
- Create partnerships with industry, and leverage our dollars to speed up the development of therapies to be tested in people
- Create specialized stem cell clinics in California that can carry out clinical trials and deliver new therapies to patients
- Fund Centers of Excellence in stem cell genetics to take advantage of rapid developments in genetics and health
- Develop a strong support network with the Californian patient advocate community to keep them informed about clinical trials and the scientific progress being made
- Work closely with state and local governments to attract new research and biotech companies to California
- Promote our Bridges Training and Creativity programs to offer opportunities to students representing the diversity of California’s population who are hoping to pursue a career in science and research