Basic Biology III
RFA 10-04: CIRM Basic Biology Awards III
The CIRM Basic Biology Awards III will fund research grants to investigate basic mechanisms underlying stem cell biology, cellular plasticity, and cellular differentiation. Studies supported by these awards will form the foundation for future translational and clinical advances, enabling the realization of the full potential of human stem cells and reprogrammed cells for therapies and as tools for biomedical innovation.
For this RFA, the Japanese Science and Technology Agency (JST) and the Federal Ministry For Education and Research, Germany (BMBF) will participate as Collaborative Funding Partners. Appendices A and B describe additional requirements and procedures for applicants whose proposals include a Japanese or German collaborator to be funded by the JST or BMBF, respectively.
Please see the RFA for full details.
RFA 10-04: CIRM Basic Biology III Awards [pdf] (amended 9.16.10 to update online submission instructions)
Submission of an application for the CIRM Basic Biology Awards III RFA involves a two-step process. An eligible PI may submit one Preliminary Application (PreApp). PreApps will be evaluated by scientific specialists from outside California who are experts in specific areas of research described in the PreApp and by CIRM scientific staff, based on the scientific review criteria described in section VII of this RFA. Applicants whose projects are judged as most promising, competitive, and responsive to the RFA will be invited to submit a full Application. All other applicants will be deferred, with the opportunity to apply in response to a future RFA.
Preliminary Application Instructions
Each PI may submit only a single PreApp for this RFA.
The deadline for submission is 5:00 pm (PDT) on October 7, 2010. No exceptions to this deadline will be made.
To submit a Preliminary Application:
1. Go to the Grants Management Portal (https://grants.cirm.ca.gov) and log in with your existing CIRM Username and Password. If you do not have a Username, Click on the "New User" link and follow the instructions to create a CIRM Username and password.
2. After logging in, your home page will display a list of open RFAs. Click on the “Apply for this grant” link corresponding to the Basic Biology Award III.
3. Complete each section by clicking on the appropriate link and following the posted instructions. RBE (if applicable) and signature page templates can be found in the “Upload Required Documents” section.
4. The “Done with Preliminary Application” button becomes enabled when all sections are complete and all required documents have been uploaded. Once “Done with Preliminary Application” has been selected, you will no longer be able to make changes to your Preliminary Application.
5. To ensure the process is complete, go back to your home page and check the list under “Your Preliminary Applications”. The status for Basic Biology Award III should be “submitted”.
The Preliminary Application must be received by CIRM no later than 5:00 pm (PDT) on October 7, 2010 via the online submission process. No exceptions to this deadline will be made.
Full Application Process
Full Applications will only be accepted from applicants who 1) submitted a PreApp and 2) are invited by CIRM to submit a full Application.
The full Application consists of four parts: Part A: Application Information Form, Part B: Basic Biology Award Research Proposal, Part C: Biographical Sketches for Key Personnel, and Part D: Related Business Entities Disclosure Form. All four parts of the full Application for CIRM Basic Biology Awards III must be submitted together and received by CIRM no later than 5:00 pm (PST) on January 19, 2011, in both electronic form and in hard copy (a signed original and five copies). It is the applicant’s responsibility to meet this deadline; no exceptions will be made.
Submit electronic copies of all 4 parts of the application online using the CIRM Grants Management Portal at https://grants.cirm.ca.gov/. In addition to the electronic submittal, send an original copy of the application signed by both the PI and the institution’s Authorized Organizational Official (AOO), plus 5 copies of the full Application (preferably double-sided) to:
Basic Biology Awards III Application
California Institute for Regenerative Medicine
210 King Street
San Francisco, CA 94107
You will need a fully functional copy of Adobe Acrobat version 8 or 9 (Standard or Professional) to complete, print, and save Parts A and D of the full Application. We recommend using Adobe Acrobat version 8.1 (or the latest version). Using Adobe Acrobat Reader will not permit you to save information that is entered in the form.
|Schedule of CIRM deadlines and reviews||Date|
|Pre-Applications due||5:00 pm (PDT), October 7, 2010|
|Invitations for full Applications sent out by CIRM||December 17, 2010|
|Full Applications due||5:00 pm (PST), January 19, 2011|
|Review of full Applications by Grants Working Group (GWG)||March, 2011|
|Review and Approval by ICOC||May, 2011|
|Earliest Funding of Awards||Summer, 2011|
No exceptions will be made to the indicated deadlines.